POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How well do you know where you live? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:51 EDT (-0400)
  How well do you know where you live? (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Chambers
Subject: How well do you know where you live?
Date: 26 Apr 2009 16:27:53
Message: <49f4c3c9$1@news.povray.org>
Step 1: Go to maps.google.com
2: Zoom out all the way.
3: Turn on satellite view and remove labels, so you have just the geography
4: Zoom in until you find your house.

It's a surprisingly fun exercise :)

--
...Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: How well do you know where you live?
Date: 26 Apr 2009 18:38:49
Message: <49f4e279$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 13:27:23 -0700, Chambers wrote:

> Step 1: Go to maps.google.com
> 2: Zoom out all the way.
> 3: Turn on satellite view and remove labels, so you have just the
> geography 4: Zoom in until you find your house.
>
> It's a surprisingly fun exercise :)

About 15 seconds for me - though honestly, with the big stinky lake (aka
"The Great Salt Lake" and the local giant park (aka Liberty Park), those
two landmarks make it pretty easy to find stuff. :-)

Just for grins, I also did the house I grew up in, that took about the
same amount of time, but I was surprised that I knew that geography still
pretty well.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 4/26/2009 3:38 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Just for grins, I also did the house I grew up in, that took about the
> same amount of time, but I was surprised that I knew that geography still
> pretty well.

I tried the house I grew up in, but there's a lot of sprawl in that area
(rows and rows of identical streets, nothing really distinguishing
them).  Once a found a landmark I recognized, I was able to follow the
streets to my old house.

--
...Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 18:46:07 -0700, Chambers wrote:

> On 4/26/2009 3:38 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Just for grins, I also did the house I grew up in, that took about the
>> same amount of time, but I was surprised that I knew that geography
>> still pretty well.
>
> I tried the house I grew up in, but there's a lot of sprawl in that area
> (rows and rows of identical streets, nothing really distinguishing
> them).  Once a found a landmark I recognized, I was able to follow the
> streets to my old house.

Yeah, that's more or less the trick.  I tried it with a location I'm less
familiar with - the town my wife grew up in - and I ended up one state to
the west.

Jim

Post a reply to this message