POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Antique Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Antique (Message 21 to 30 of 40)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Unique Antique
Date: 22 Apr 2009 08:28:36
Message: <49ef0d74$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Actually, I have three of them. And you know what? They're all slightly
> different...
>
> If I compare any pair of boards, there is a difference. So it's not like
> one board is different to the other two, they're ALL different!
>
> - Boards B and C have two RAM chips on them. Board A has bays for two
> chips, but only one is present. (All three boards are spec'd as "4 MB".)
>
> - Board B has a different brand of RAM chip. (But *all* the boards have
> different *models* of RAM chip.)
>
> - Boards A and C have pins on the AGP connector which aren't connected
> to anything. But on board B, those pins are physically missing rather
> than just unconnected.
>
> - Board B has less writing printed on it between the two RAM chips. The
> actual components mounted there appear identical, but just fewer markings.
>
> - Each board has some kind of 3-pin component with what looks like a
> heat sink soldered to a very large metal pad on the board. Oddly, only
> two of the three pins are connected to anything; the middle pin is cut
> off at the base. On boards A and C, there are three metal pads on the
> board that end in rounded tips, and the middle one appears to be a
> continuation of the large pad the heat sink is soldered to. But on board
> B, there is a gap between the pads the pins are soldered to and the
> circles at the end, and there is no middle pad (but the circle is still
> there).
>
> - Some of the code numbers on both the S3 chip and the Holtek chip are
> different on each board, while others are identical. (I'm guessing these
> are serial numbers, or at least revision numbers.)
>
> - Hello, I didn't notice this: Board B says "SP368G REV:2" on it, while
> the other two boards say "SP368G REV:3" on them.
>
> So there we are. *Clearly* I have too much free time...

...business as usual, eh? :-} Some things never change...

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 22 Apr 2009 08:55:57
Message: <49ef13dd$1@news.povray.org>
> So my next question is... why does a digital device require so many
> millions of resisters and capacitors?

Can't say for all designs, but I know on our LCD electrical designs it is
mainly for noise-reduction and filtering.  If we didn't filter the digital
signals, especially the ones on long tracks, we would be above the EMC noise
limits allowed.  In a car in particular, the FM receiver circuitry is
usually right next to the LCD, so the 85-110 MHz band is extra important, I
imagine most consumer devices have similar requirements.

> (Maybe millions is an exaggeration, but there sure is a lot of them
> here... Big ones, tiny ones... I assume the tiny ones *must* be mounted by
> machine?)

It's done by a "pick&place" machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7w5OUXwTZs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NamGXOgb5s

Post a reply to this message

>> So my next question is... why does a digital device require so many
>> millions of resisters and capacitors?
>
> Can't say for all designs, but I know on our LCD electrical designs it
> is mainly for noise-reduction and filtering.  If we didn't filter the
> digital signals, especially the ones on long tracks, we would be above
> the EMC noise limits allowed.  In a car in particular, the FM receiver
> circuitry is usually right next to the LCD, so the 85-110 MHz band is
> extra important, I imagine most consumer devices have similar requirements.

Well, I'm looking at a graphics card, so presumably it's to isolate any
noise from the AGP bus from the (much lower frequency) video signal?

>> I assume the tiny ones *must* be mounted by machine?
>
> It's done by a "pick&place" machine:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7w5OUXwTZs
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NamGXOgb5s

That's pretty insane...

Presumably the through-the-hole stuff is done by a human operator.
(Indeed, I worked on a production line doing that once...) The
surface-mount stuff is machine. Or that would be my guess anyway...

Post a reply to this message

> Well, I'm looking at a graphics card, so presumably it's to isolate any
> noise from the AGP bus from the (much lower frequency) video signal?

Hmmm, my graphics card is churning out (1920*1200 + 1600*1200)*60*24 bits
per second.  Is the AGP bus higher than that?

> Presumably the through-the-hole stuff is done by a human operator.

I don't know, all our components are surface mount.

Post a reply to this message

>> Well, I'm looking at a graphics card, so presumably it's to isolate
>> any noise from the AGP bus from the (much lower frequency) video signal?
>
> Hmmm, my graphics card is churning out (1920*1200 + 1600*1200)*60*24
> bits per second.  Is the AGP bus higher than that?

An antique graphics card can't do that. IIRC, this has a maximum
resolution of 1024x768, and it's analogue output only.

>> Presumably the through-the-hole stuff is done by a human operator.
>
> I don't know, all our components are surface mount.

This one has several radial electrolytic capacitors.

Post a reply to this message