POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Antique : Re: Unique Antique Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:16:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unique Antique
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Apr 2009 09:02:41
Message: <49ef1571$1@news.povray.org>
>> So my next question is... why does a digital device require so many
>> millions of resisters and capacitors?
>
> Can't say for all designs, but I know on our LCD electrical designs it
> is mainly for noise-reduction and filtering.  If we didn't filter the
> digital signals, especially the ones on long tracks, we would be above
> the EMC noise limits allowed.  In a car in particular, the FM receiver
> circuitry is usually right next to the LCD, so the 85-110 MHz band is
> extra important, I imagine most consumer devices have similar requirements.

Well, I'm looking at a graphics card, so presumably it's to isolate any
noise from the AGP bus from the (much lower frequency) video signal?

>> I assume the tiny ones *must* be mounted by machine?
>
> It's done by a "pick&place" machine:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7w5OUXwTZs
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NamGXOgb5s

That's pretty insane...

Presumably the through-the-hole stuff is done by a human operator.
(Indeed, I worked on a production line doing that once...) The
surface-mount stuff is machine. Or that would be my guess anyway...