POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives (Message 101 to 110 of 140)
From: Mueen Nawaz
Subject: Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
Date: 21 Apr 2009 18:04:50
Message: <49ee4302@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>         In the short term only. If some ISP is getting hurt by huge bandwidth
>> requirements (iplayer, youtube, Bittorrent, etc), in the long run they
>> may save more money by implementing filtering.
>
>   Or simply by limiting its customers' bandwidth.
>
>   Bandwidth limitation for technical reasons sounds a lot less dubious
> practice than filtering content.

	Yes, but easier to get more profit one way than another via marketing.

--
If a pig lost it's voice, would it become disgruntled?

                    /\  /\               /\  /
                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl

Post a reply to this message

From: somebody
Date: 21 Apr 2009 18:07:25
Message: <49ee439d$1@news.povray.org>
> somebody wrote:

> > If you don't like it, don't buy the Sony TV.
>
> That's not what I asked. I asked why it's a good thing.  I.e., why are you
> in favor of this becoming a law?

I'm in favour of the law not restricting what ISPs can deliver. The law
doesn't say ISP's *should* restrict what they deliver, does it?

> > Buy another brand. In a free
> > market, people speak with their wallets. Making it unlawful for Sony to
> > manufacture such a TV is not the answer, it is censorship.

> And if it were a free market, I'd even agree with you. In practice, it's
not.

> I take it you're in favor of MS including their browser for free in every
> version of Windows and such too.

Sure. They should also be able include whatever they want, including the
kitchen sink. Do people complain when the auto manufacturer includes a
stereo? Why the big fuss when MS includes a media player?

Post a reply to this message