POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:16:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Apr 2009 19:41:21
Message: <49ee59a1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:51:41 -0700, Darren New wrote:

>  What's the benefit that comes from allowing ISPs to refuse to
> deliver certain kinds of content, or content from certain providers of
> information that are otherwise legal?

I think the real problem isn't so much in allowing ISPs to refuse to
deliver certain kinds of content, but the line provider being an ISP and
then refusing.

The loss of choice, then because the carrier provides the ISP service as
well (as in the case of AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner, etc) where you're
locked into using their ISP and their line.

The setup I have is not unique, but it is relatively uncommon; I use DSL
service from Earthlink, but they don't provide the line, Covad
Communications provides the line - and actually that's a shared line with
Qwest (since they provide the wire to the house).

With the cable companies in the US, they behave as a common carrier in
that they are the sole provider of the line, but you can't (AFAIK) choose
to use a different ISP if you use the cable provider.  So in my locale,
Comcast controls the line and the network access, and the problem is them
deciding arbitrarily that they aren't going to give reasonable (or any)
access to, say, Qwest's online resources.  Comcast provides a telephone
service as well, so if you get your 'net access from them, they *could*
unilaterally decide to prevent you from paying your Qwest bill online by
preventing you from visiting their website[1].

What I think needs to happen is that the line provider needs to be
classified as a common carrier.  Common carrier status means they have to
treat all data equal, and the service providers (ie, the one providing
the network address and access to the Internet at large) then compete on
features, access, availability, and bandwidth options.

Jim

[1] I'm not saying they'd actually do that, and that customers wouldn't
be pissed off and make noise about it.  I am saying that if they decided
to do that, they could tell the customers "well, you have a choice, you
can go with lower-speed DSL, so suck on our truck nuts."  There would be
a certain percentage who would switch to Comcast for phone service as a
result, a certain percentage who would grumble and accept it, and a
relatively small number who would say "screw you" and drop Comcast.