POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Effective Communication Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Effective Communication (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: Effective Communication
Date: 13 Apr 2009 09:28:09
Message: <49e33de9@news.povray.org>
> I think official include files will reach people a lot easier than some
online wiki.

I realize that I may be shooting my own foot off .. Well here goes anyway!

I'm usually pretty thick skinned about most things, that is I get over
things fairly quickly and move on, however I find that I'm thinking more
than I should about the above response.

First off I totally get the notion that this is an international forum. We
all have different ways of expressing ourselves that may or may not be
obvious to the most casual observer. Having said that, here's how I might
have written the response in question:

I think official include files will reach people a lot easier than the
"POV-wiki" .... or "our wiki" .... or "the wiki". My read of "some online
wiki" somehow devalues the effort that has been expended towards this
project. If that wasn't the intent, then I'm fully prepared to take
ownership of my feelings and "get over it" as they say. A little more
thought before replying can make all the difference in the world in how the
message is received .... just two words in this case. What I find
challenging about this method of communication is not being face to face
with the person that you're addressing. You don't get body language, or
facial expression as feedback, and you miss out on those .... "Perhaps I
should rephrase that" opportunities that you get from conversational
encounters. Another phenomenon I noticed (NOT in this forum) is that people
have a tendency to be a bit bolder than in real life .... I've had things
said to me that if I were standing in a pub next to this person and they
said that .... well you know the rest. I'm moving off point, so I've said
enough.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

Jim Holsenback <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > I think official include files will reach people a lot easier than some
> online wiki.

  I really think you are reading more to it than there is.

  Replace the word "some" with "an" and the sentence reflects more closely
what I wanted to express.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   I really think you are reading more to it than there is.
>
>   Replace the word "some" with "an" and the sentence reflects more closely
> what I wanted to express.

ah .... well I'm feeling a bit better about that. You've kind of made my
point for me. It's all about carefully choosing words .... right?

No hard feelings .... eh? I'm over it!

BTW: Thanks for the clairification

Jim

Post a reply to this message