POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Effective Communication : Re: Effective Communication Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Effective Communication
From: somebody
Date: 13 Apr 2009 13:47:15
Message: <49e37aa3$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote

> > I think official include files will reach people a lot easier than some
> online wiki.

> I think official include files will reach people a lot easier than the
> "POV-wiki" .... or "our wiki" .... or "the wiki". My read of "some online
> wiki" somehow devalues the effort that has been expended towards this
> project. If that wasn't the intent, then I'm fully prepared to take

I didn't catch the original and your message doesn't explain much, but the
wording, as it's been written, makes sense to me as expressing a third party
point of view (right or wrong). The Wiki may be your baby, POV may be your
passion, but majority of users won't feel the same amount of attachment . I
think the original author is expressing what a *casual* user feels. I, for
one, value official distributions of any software a lot more than any online
support pages, wiki or otherwise, even though they may have been put up or
maintained by the very same people to the very same standards of rigour. But
as a casual user, I don't know that, and I don't need or care to know that.
In that sense, it's *some online Wiki* to me. I don't think the phrase is
meant to express how the original author himself feels about the wiki, but
how he anticipates casual users will feel about it.