POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I knew this would happen at some point Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  I knew this would happen at some point (Message 21 to 30 of 134)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: I knew this would happen at some point
Date: 24 Mar 2009 11:54:44
Message: <49c90244@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> On 3/23/2009 3:34 PM, andrel wrote:
>> On 23-3-2009 23:17, Chambers wrote:
>>> For the most part, it seems that our system errs on the side of
>>> letting guilty people go much more often then locking up innocents.
>>
>> Explain the large number of people in jail in the US?
>
> That has more to do with asinine laws than guilt or innocence.  For
> instance, a large number of people in jail are short sentences for petty
> crimes.

Also, when the US publishes these numbers, it includes the innocent people
in jail waiting for a trial. When some other countries publish their
numbers, they only count convicted people.

Similarly with "child mortality": Some countries don't count it as "child
mortality" if the child doesn't live past the first 24 hours or some such.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)