POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I knew this would happen at some point : Re: I knew this would happen at some point Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:16:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I knew this would happen at some point
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Mar 2009 18:23:21
Message: <49c95d59$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 24-3-2009 22:33, Darren New wrote:
>> andrel wrote:
>>> So the people not getting to jail are IYO predominantly for more
>>> serious crimes? Like fraud and organized crime in stead of drugs and
>>> shoplifting?
>>
>> I haven't any idea what the ration between "serious" and "minor" crime
>> conviction rates are (and how would you be able to give a realistic
>> assessment of that?), but I don't think that's the implication here.
>> We lock up too many people because too many people are guilty, not
>> because there's too many innocent people being locked up.
>
> Chambers claimed that too many guilty people were not convicted *and*
> that most of the convicted people were there for petty offences, hence
> my question.

I understand that. I don't think the second half of what he said logically
follows from the first half or vice versa. Rephrasing my comment, I don't
know what the ratio of guilty-to-convicted is for various types of crimes,
and I can't imagine how you'd even measure that, given that you don't know
how many people are actually guilty. I don't think we lock up a whole lot of
people who are innocent of petty offenses, and I don't think either of us
meant to imply we thought that was the case.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)