POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hard drives making noise when nobody is accessing them Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Hard drives making noise when nobody is accessing them (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Darren New
Subject: Hard drives making noise when nobody is accessing them
Date: 14 Mar 2009 23:37:25
Message: <49bc77f5$1@news.povray.org>
I suddenly suspect it's the S.M.A.R.T. offline scan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

A subsequent version improved failure prediction by adding an automatic
off-line read scan to monitor additional operations. The latest SMART
technology not only monitors hard drive activities but adds failure
prevention by attempting to detect and repair sector errors. Also, whilst
earlier versions of the technology only monitored hard drive activity for
data that was retrieved by the operating system, this latest SMART tests all
data and all sectors of a drive by using "off-line data collection" to
confirm the drive's health during periods of inactivity."

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)