POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hard drives making noise when nobody is accessing them : Re: Hard drives making noise when nobody is accessing them Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hard drives making noise when nobody is accessing them
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Mar 2009 13:09:41
Message: <49bd3655$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:
> Always wondered what it could be--thinking there was something bad about to
> happen!

I've seen systems where if you have the SMART turned on, as soon as SMART
says "you might have trouble soon", the system says "your disk is dead!"
Which of course 100% defeats the purpose of SMART.

I also have enough cynicism to wonder if randomly sweeping the moving parts
around the drive when it would be better off just sitting still isn't a ploy
to make it wear out faster. :-)  Hard to judge on that one - could go either
way.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)