POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hard drives making noise when nobody is accessing them : Re: Hard drives making noise when nobody is accessing them Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hard drives making noise when nobody is accessing them
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Mar 2009 14:33:16
Message: <49be9b6c$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> I suddenly suspect it's the S.M.A.R.T. offline scan
>
> S.M.A.R.T. warned me my hard drive was about to fail after it failed. I
> don't put too much stock in it.

Yeah. I've had it where the machine wouldn't boot because SMART was saying
the drive was failing, and I had to turn off SMART to run the machine. And
since it was just essentially a compute-node with nothing on the drive that
wasn't in the repository, I left it run another 9 months before the drive
eventually did fail.

Pretty useless, IME, also.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)