POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The trick Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:14:28 EDT (-0400)
  The trick (Message 23 to 32 of 32)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: The trick
Date: 13 Mar 2009 07:50:36
Message: <49BA488D.5040707@hotmail.com>
On 13-3-2009 12:41, Invisible wrote:

>> I think that as soon as you find an example you try to reduce it to
>> the bare essentials and post that. The same actually as when posting a
>> bug.
>
> Ooo, 2 extra operations. Big deal.
three and it hides what is actually going on. If you had done it, you
would have realized that it was about associativity yourself.

>>> (Currently attempting to build a Haskell parser, printer and type
>>> interence engine.
>>
>> One word: why?
>
> Two words: why not?

Because you can spend the same time and intellect on something that does
help you in your career. Some thing that will in the end give you some
credit when you finish it. Not familiar with you open university, but
they or similar institutes might have courses that are just as
interesting as trying to build haskell from the ground up. Granted if
you finish that it might be something interesting on your CV, but what
is the change that you will?

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 13 Mar 2009 07:58:11
Message: <49ba4a53$1@news.povray.org>
>>> I think that as soon as you find an example you try to reduce it to
>>> the bare essentials and post that. The same actually as when posting
>>> a bug.
>>
>> Ooo, 2 extra operations. Big deal.
> three and it hides what is actually going on. If you had done it, you
> would have realized that it was about associativity yourself.

What can I say? It wasn't the primary focus of my concentration. I just
wanted to check that my original hypothesis wasn't completely wrong.

>>> One word: why?
>>
>> Two words: why not?
>
> Because you can spend the same time and intellect on something that does
> help you in your career.

Well, yeah, that would be better. If I could think of something.

> Some thing that will in the end give you some
> credit when you finish it.

I have serious doubts that such a thing exists. I realise that's not
especially rational, but when you live for so long never receiving any
credit for anything you do, no matter how hard it was to do it, you
start to wonder whether credit actually exists at all.

> Not familiar with you open university, but
> they or similar institutes might have courses that are just as
> interesting as trying to build haskell from the ground up.

I looked. The OU in MK don't have anything remotely interesting.
Somebody else might I guess, but how to find them?

If the guys at Strathclyde get back to me it could be very
interesting... but it's been days now, and I've heard nothing.

> Granted if
> you finish that it might be something interesting on your CV, but what
> is the chance that you will?

I don't know. Depends on how difficult it turns out to be.

FWIW, I'm not really trying to "build Haskell from the ground up".
Rather, I'm trying to make a tool to help untangle complex compile
errors. Basically, I type in some code, and the program tells me what
types it's inferring, so you can try to figure out where it's going wrong.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 13 Mar 2009 08:25:33
Message: <49BA50BE.6050801@hotmail.com>
On 13-3-2009 12:58, Invisible wrote:

>> Some thing that will in the end give you some credit when you finish it.
>
> I have serious doubts that such a thing exists. I realise that's not
> especially rational, but when you live for so long never receiving any
> credit for anything you do, no matter how hard it was to do it, you
> start to wonder whether credit actually exists at all.

Not in business (your boss simply assumes you do what you are paid for)
but in education we normally do.

>> Not familiar with you open university, but they or similar institutes
>> might have courses that are just as interesting as trying to build
>> haskell from the ground up.
>
> I looked. The OU in MK don't have anything remotely interesting.

Does Open here not mean that you don't have to physically go somewhere?
Because I was thinking about one of those. Or the e-learning type of things.

> Somebody else might I guess, but how to find them?

GIYF? Or ask a friend or ask in some random newsgroup.

> If the guys at Strathclyde get back to me it could be very
> interesting... but it's been days now, and I've heard nothing.
>
>> Granted if you finish that it might be something interesting on your
>> CV, but what is the chance that you will?
>
> I don't know. Depends on how difficult it turns out to be.
>
> FWIW, I'm not really trying to "build Haskell from the ground up".

that is what you are thinking now.

From: Invisible
Date: 13 Mar 2009 08:53:10
Message: <49ba5736$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Some thing that will in the end give you some credit when you finish it.
>>
>> I have serious doubts that such a thing exists. I realise that's not
>> especially rational, but when you live for so long never receiving any
>> credit for anything you do, no matter how hard it was to do it, you
>> start to wonder whether credit actually exists at all.
>
> Not in business (your boss simply assumes you do what you are paid for)
> but in education we normally do.

As I say, I'm used to just going through life in the complete absence of
any kind of success, regardless of effort applied. It does things to
your mind.

>> I looked. The OU in MK don't have anything remotely interesting.
>
> Does Open here not mean that you don't have to physically go somewhere?
> Because I was thinking about one of those. Or the e-learning type of
> things.

Well, perhaps. Personally I think *going* somewhere might not be such a
bad idea. At least it would get me away from this job...

A very seriously doubt that adding more letters after my name will have
any measurable effect on my career prospects. But being in a more
positive and supportive environment might.

>> Somebody else might I guess, but how to find them?
>
> GIYF? Or ask a friend or ask in some random newsgroup.

Oh, I can find a few things. But how to apply? I'm afraid I don't really
understand all this stuff.

>> FWIW, I'm not really trying to "build Haskell from the ground up".
>
> that is what you are thinking now.

Meh. Some of the Haskell compilers out there are measured in thousands
of lines of code. Nothing I have ever written is nearly that large. If I
write something and it gets to 1,000 lines, I start trying to find ways
to make it simpler.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 13 Mar 2009 10:14:04
Message: <49BA6A2D.7090801@hotmail.com>
On 13-3-2009 13:53, Invisible wrote:
> As I say, I'm used to just going through life in the complete absence of
> any kind of success, regardless of effort applied. It does things to
> your mind.

Yeah, I noticed. Which does not mean that I have to accept that.

>>> I looked. The OU in MK don't have anything remotely interesting.
>>
>> Does Open here not mean that you don't have to physically go somewhere?
>> Because I was thinking about one of those. Or the e-learning type of
>> things.
>
> Well, perhaps. Personally I think *going* somewhere might not be such a
> bad idea. At least it would get me away from this job...

I though that this started out as some advise about doing things while
you were still on the job, but that may be just me.

> A very seriously doubt that adding more letters after my name will have
> any measurable effect on my career prospects.

In the Netherlands even dropping a letter before your name can change a lot.

> But being in a more positive and supportive environment might.

yes, but apparently you first have to move to such a place before you
would even contemplate moving. Well, apparently you enjoy recursive
problems.

>>> Somebody else might I guess, but how to find them?
>>
>> GIYF? Or ask a friend or ask in some random newsgroup.
>
> Oh, I can find a few things. But how to apply? I'm afraid I don't really
> understand all this stuff.

Apply? You simply fill in some forms I would expect.

Somewhat related: One of my colleagues is very much involved in an
on-line biomedical engineering curriculum (http://www.evicab.eu/). They
have a signal and imaging analysis course, which might be interesting to
you. I can however not immediately find how you can actually do the
on-line exams without being a student on a university.

>>> FWIW, I'm not really trying to "build Haskell from the ground up".
>>
>> that is what you are thinking now.
>
> Meh. Some of the Haskell compilers out there are measured in thousands
> of lines of code. Nothing I have ever written is nearly that large. If I
> write something and it gets to 1,000 lines, I start trying to find ways
> to make it simpler.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 13 Mar 2009 12:27:00
Message: <49ba8954$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Not once you add case expressions, let expressions, type signatures and
> so forth.

FORTH

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Darren New
Date: 13 Mar 2009 12:31:24
Message: <49ba8a5c$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> In the Netherlands even dropping a letter before your name can change a
> lot.

I'm not sure what that means?

I have noticed that putting "the" before your name gets you noticed.

"I'd like you to meet Darren New."
    "No no. It's The Darren New."

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: andrel
Date: 13 Mar 2009 12:43:45
Message: <49BA8D42.3030009@hotmail.com>
On 13-3-2009 17:31, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> In the Netherlands even dropping a letter before your name can change
>> a lot.
>
> I'm not sure what that means?

An MSc is a Drs (short for Doctorandus, he who must/will become a
doctor) and a PhD is a Dr (the actual Doctor) and we place the titles in
front of the name. So when I did my thesis I went from Drs. Linnenbank
to Dr. Linnenbank. Note that Drs does not mean more than one doctorate,
a mistake sometimes made by some foreigners.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 13 Mar 2009 13:32:15
Message: <49ba989f$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 13-3-2009 17:31, Darren New wrote:
>> andrel wrote:
>>> In the Netherlands even dropping a letter before your name can change
>>> a lot.
>>
>> I'm not sure what that means?
>
> An MSc is a Drs (short for Doctorandus, he who must/will become a
> doctor) and a PhD is a Dr (the actual Doctor) and we place the titles in
> front of the name. So when I did my thesis I went from Drs. Linnenbank
> to Dr. Linnenbank. Note that Drs does not mean more than one doctorate,
> a mistake sometimes made by some foreigners.

I see. We don't do that here. We don't get any letters before we finish.

Altho some pre-PhD students put "ABT" after their name - All But Thesis. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: andrel
Date: 13 Mar 2009 14:09:37
Message: <49BAA161.7070809@hotmail.com>
On 13-3-2009 18:32, Darren New wrote:

> I see. We don't do that here. We don't get any letters before we finish.

But a Drs is a finished MSc.