POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Strange slowness Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:14:07 EDT (-0400)
  Strange slowness (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Invisible
Subject: Strange slowness
Date: 10 Mar 2009 05:32:33
Message: <49b633b1$1@news.povray.org>
For the past few days, I've noticed that access to the Internet seems
really slow. From work *and* from home. So that's two different
computers, with different Internet connections. (They are both connected
through British Telecom - but one is a business-grade connection, while
the other is residential.)

Has anybody else noticed a serious slowdown? I seem to have to click
some links multiple times before I get a page. And yet, all the ping
times I've looked at seem normal. Very odd...

Post a reply to this message

> For the past few days, I've noticed that access to the Internet seems
> really slow. From work *and* from home. So that's two different
> computers, with different Internet connections. (They are both connected
> through British Telecom - but one is a business-grade connection, while
> the other is residential.)
>
> Has anybody else noticed a serious slowdown? I seem to have to click
> some links multiple times before I get a page. And yet, all the ping
> times I've looked at seem normal. Very odd...

Saturday I noticed slowness and failed connections to a site hosted in
the UK. Possibly unrelated, of course.

Post a reply to this message

> For the past few days, I've noticed that access to the Internet seems
> really slow. From work *and* from home. So that's two different
> computers, with different Internet connections. (They are both connected
> through British Telecom - but one is a business-grade connection, while
> the other is residential.)
>
> Has anybody else noticed a serious slowdown? I seem to have to click
> some links multiple times before I get a page. And yet, all the ping
> times I've looked at seem normal. Very odd...

Your problem is probably at the other end of your connection.  Or you're
getting more impatient as time goes by.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

> For the past few days, I've noticed that access to the Internet seems
> really slow. From work *and* from home. So that's two different
> computers, with different Internet connections. (They are both connected
> through British Telecom - but one is a business-grade connection, while
> the other is residential.)
>
> Has anybody else noticed a serious slowdown? I seem to have to click
> some links multiple times before I get a page. And yet, all the ping
> times I've looked at seem normal. Very odd...
Well. There is normal and normal. Tracert is often a better gauge than
ping, since ping only hits 4 times, then gives up, and if the problem
happens before or after the pings... Using a trace I was getting * - no
response, from about 1 in 30 of the trace pings, but I couldn't pin down
the precise point in the network that was causing it. Odds are someone's
server was overloaded in the backbone, and it effected a lot of people
piping stuff through there, but it never got "critical" enough for the
system to route around it.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {