POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Strange slowness : Re: Strange slowness Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:14:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange slowness
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 10 Mar 2009 13:15:53
Message: <49b6a049$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> For the past few days, I've noticed that access to the Internet seems
> really slow. From work *and* from home. So that's two different
> computers, with different Internet connections. (They are both connected
> through British Telecom - but one is a business-grade connection, while
> the other is residential.)
>
> Has anybody else noticed a serious slowdown? I seem to have to click
> some links multiple times before I get a page. And yet, all the ping
> times I've looked at seem normal. Very odd...
Well. There is normal and normal. Tracert is often a better gauge than
ping, since ping only hits 4 times, then gives up, and if the problem
happens before or after the pings... Using a trace I was getting * - no
response, from about 1 in 30 of the trace pings, but I couldn't pin down
the precise point in the network that was causing it. Odds are someone's
server was overloaded in the backbone, and it effected a lot of people
piping stuff through there, but it never got "critical" enough for the
system to route around it.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {