POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid Server Time
18 May 2024 14:44:57 EDT (-0400)
  World Community Grid (Message 41 to 50 of 103)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: World Community Grid
Date: 9 Mar 2009 16:55:29
Message: <49B5823F.6030503@hotmail.com>
On 9-3-2009 19:09, Saul Luizaga wrote:
> somebody wrote:
>> "Humanity's sake" is all nice and good, but if these grid projects are to
>> achive better success, they should consider some minimal payment, to
>> compensate for energy usage at least. Nothing is free, and in the end,
>> that
>> anti cancer drug you help discover (albeit in an extremely minor way)
>> will
>> be sold to you at hundereds or thousands of dollars a pop if and when you
>> need it. An alternative is to make such research and end products public
>> domain and patent free.
>
> If you had ever visited the WCG web, you wouldn't be posting this. You
> post out of ignorance.
I am not a world class expert in inter-human communication, but I think
that last remark may not be totally compatible with a civilized exchange
of ideas.  As such it may not be effective in convincing people that you
are promoting humanity.

Is there something going on in the climate or something, I have seen
more apparently irritated comments by people that are normally as
friendly as anything recently. Trying to remember my most recent
communications, did I also cross that line?...

Post a reply to this message

From: somebody
Date: 9 Mar 2009 16:59:53
Message: <49b58349@news.povray.org>
"Saul Luizaga" <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote in message
> somebody wrote:

> > be sold to you at hundereds or thousands of dollars a pop if and when
you
> > need it. An alternative is to make such research and end products public
> > domain and patent free.

> If you had ever visited the WCG web, you wouldn't be posting this. You
> post out of ignorance.

Fair enough, my mistake. I did miss the "all results will be in the public
domain" part.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 9 Mar 2009 17:07:06
Message: <49b584fa$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>> You can find all the answers for these questions and more in the link
>> I have provided, please visit them.
>
> Fail.
>
> As best as I can tell, the answer is "No" and "No." Had the "completed
> research" links actually pointed to the completed research, I might have
> thought it was worthwhile.

Oh, I see. It does promise to make results public domain. Actually saying
that might have helped, since they don't actually have a search feature on
their site, for example. :-)  I didn't think it was worth the time roaming
thru an entire web site looking for a question that might not have been
answered, just so I can give *them* some money.

Just a hint, tho?  When you're asking someone to do something nice and
selfless for you, it's usually a good idea not to be obnoxious about
answering the question "Why should I?"  :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 9 Mar 2009 18:22:27
Message: <49b596a3@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> "Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message
>> On 3/8/2009 11:18 AM, Saul Luizaga wrote:
>>> http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewAboutUs.do
>
>>> http://www.one.org/
>>>
>>> If you have any spare core(s)/CPU(s) please help to help, is for
>>> Humanity sake, thank you.
>> When I have spare cores/CPUs, I power them down.  Once I get my roof
>> coated in solar cells, with a windfarm behind my house, and I'm selling
>> power back to the grid despite running everything 24/7, THEN I'll
>> consider giving away my CPU time.
>>
>> As it is, my power bill is too expensive :(
>
> I wonder about the efficiency of distributed computing anyway. Sure, the
> cost is transfered from the researcher onto the public, so it's good for
> them, but considering the big picture, wouldn't it be more efficient to use
> one supercomputer in a controlled hardware and software environment than
> hundereds of thousands of motley PCs and the bandwidth, crosschecking,
> software, hosting... etc? You can put a dozen CPUs and memory chips on a
> rack mount motherboard with optimized high speed buses and you have the
> computing power of more than a three dozen random PCs, at a fraction of the
> energy expenditure, with the silly one motherboard per PC architecture,
> unnecessary HDs, video cards, other cards and peripherals.
>
> In short, just turn off your PC at night and donate part of the savings to
> your favourite research. It would probably be more beneficial for all.

Global Statistics
Statistics Last Updated: 3/9/09 12:05:59 (UTC) [8 hour(s) ago]
	Totals:
   	Members 	431,866
   	Devices 	1,200,203
   	Total Run Time 	223,417 years (As 1 PC running 24/7)
   	Points Generated 	100,949,508,634
   	Results Returned 	249,504,379
	Averages:
   	Run Time Per Calendar Day (y:d:h:m:s) 	136:327:16:15:32
   	Run Time Per Result (y:d:h:m:s) 	0:000:07:50:39
   	Points Per Hour of Run Time 	51.58
   	Points Per Calendar Day 	61,856,316.56
   	Points Per Result 	404.60
   	Results Per Calendar Day 	152,882.59
	Yesterday:
   	Total Run Time (y:d:h:m:s) 	238:250:03:58:30
   	Points Generated 	182,127,010
   	Results Returned 	362,215

248.879 TeraFLOPS (http://boincstats.com/stats/project_graph.php?pr=wcg)

This stats say you are wrong and don't have clue what you are talking
about , as you don't care putting a decent nick or your name, just
"somebody", you don't care about altruistic deeds. But your conscience
don't leave you alone so you have to post something to make it shut up
and convince yourself that everything you do is always best. Nice...
ironically people like you are first to cry out for help when something
bad happens.

Post a reply to this message

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 9 Mar 2009 18:24:48
Message: <49b59730@news.povray.org>
Most of those PCs resources get wasted anyway since most of them don't
use them to 100% capacity, while you do a spreadsheet, word processor,
web browsing, listening music (.mp3, .mp4, etc.), watching a movie (a
DVD and Xvid/DivX movies are GPU accelerated), etc. The project client
runs in third plane, no getting in the way at all, and does actual
scientific Lab. testing using spare resources.

  I always wanted to help in disease research, help those guys in the
Lab making test after test after test, but I wouldn't wanna actually be
a Lab guy since I don't like Biology/Biochimestry much, but is so
necessary for Humanity, many people would also wonder "How can I help to
research and speed up cures/treatment for this millions of people sick?.
Nothing... so I'll do just that". Now that answer has changed, you can
do A LOT.

Global Statistics
Statistics Last Updated: 3/9/09 12:05:59 (UTC) [8 hour(s) ago]
	Totals:
   	Members 	431,866
   	Devices 	1,200,203
   	Total Run Time 	223,417 years (As 1 PC running 24/7)
   	Points Generated 	100,949,508,634
   	Results Returned 	249,504,379
	Averages:
   	Run Time Per Calendar Day (y:d:h:m:s) 	136:327:16:15:32
   	Run Time Per Result (y:d:h:m:s) 	0:000:07:50:39
   	Points Per Hour of Run Time 	51.58
   	Points Per Calendar Day 	61,856,316.56
   	Points Per Result 	404.60
   	Results Per Calendar Day 	152,882.59
	Yesterday:
   	Total Run Time (y:d:h:m:s) 	238:250:03:58:30
   	Points Generated 	182,127,010
   	Results Returned 	362,215

248.879 TeraFLOPS (http://boincstats.com/stats/project_graph.php?pr=wcg)

My PC:
09/03/2009 06:11:22 p.m.||Running CPU benchmarks
09/03/2009 06:11:53 p.m.||Benchmark results:
09/03/2009 06:11:53 p.m.||   Number of CPUs: 2
09/03/2009 06:11:53 p.m.||   1256 floating point MIPS (Whetstone) per CPU
09/03/2009 06:11:53 p.m.||   2251 integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU

Active Research:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/newsletter/08Q2/viewProjects.do

Featured on ibm.com describing how World Community Grid works:
http://www.ibm.com/podcasts/howitworks/021307/index.html

PDF Overview and Podcast Transcript:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/bg/HIW_02132007.pdf

Members Video Montage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rfFFnZ-RmI&eurl=http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/newsletter/video/viewIDedicate.do?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaigniurl=http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/6rfFFnZ-RmI/hqdefault.jpg
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/newsletter/video/viewIDedicate.do?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=montage

How Grid Computing Works:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewGridComputingBasics.do

Sign up for the 3-part education newsletter today:  If you would like to
know more about World Community Grid before you join
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/wb/viewInfoSignup.do?utm_source=sidebar&utm_medium=top&utm_campaign=winback

Welcome to the World Community Grid News & Media Repository:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/newsletter/viewNewsletterMain.do

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 9 Mar 2009 18:31:08
Message: <49b598ac@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:
> This stats say you are wrong and don't have clue what you are talking
> about , as you don't care putting a decent nick or your name, just
> "somebody", you don't care about altruistic deeds. But your conscience
> don't leave you alone so you have to post something to make it shut up
> and convince yourself that everything you do is always best. Nice...
> ironically people like you are first to cry out for help when something
> bad happens.

With that attitude you really aren't inviting people to join...

Post a reply to this message

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 9 Mar 2009 19:01:21
Message: <49b59fc1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>>> You can find all the answers for these questions and more in the link
>>> I have provided, please visit them.
>>
>> Fail.
>>
>> As best as I can tell, the answer is "No" and "No." Had the "completed
>> research" links actually pointed to the completed research, I might
>> have thought it was worthwhile.
>
> Oh, I see. It does promise to make results public domain. Actually
> saying that might have helped, since they don't actually have a search
> feature on their site, for example. :-)  I didn't think it was worth the
> time roaming thru an entire web site looking for a question that might
> not have been answered, just so I can give *them* some money.
>
> Just a hint, tho?  When you're asking someone to do something nice and
> selfless for you, it's usually a good idea not to be obnoxious about
> answering the question "Why should I?"  :-)

Actually I gave enough info and people that ask "Why should I?" is I
don't care about selfless things but if you talk/write to me enough I
MIGHT do it, if they do, they do for a little time then "suddenly" they
get "bothered" by it, so they MUST uninstall the damn thing. Is for
Humanity benefit, the more we are helping the better, you don't know if
you're gonna develop cancer or another disease in the future, so I don't
  know HOW some pèople find this to be WRONG, I just don't get it, IMO
distributed computing for helping Humanity is best thing ever build
after computers them selves

Any way... if you check my last self-post DETAILS any info you might
require.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, the first post and the first self-post
shows clearly what WCG is and how to download the client. I'm not saying
your questions are not valid or anyone asking about it, is just that I
thought since most is in the website and the res on the forums, well...

If I was I'm sorry, wasn't my intention at all, point taken though, thx.

:-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 9 Mar 2009 19:03:21
Message: <49b5a039@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>> This stats say you are wrong and don't have clue what you are talking
>> about , as you don't care putting a decent nick or your name, just
>> "somebody", you don't care about altruistic deeds. But your conscience
>> don't leave you alone so you have to post something to make it shut up
>> and convince yourself that everything you do is always best. Nice...
>> ironically people like you are first to cry out for help when something
>> bad happens.
>
> With that attitude you really aren't inviting people to join...
Man, if he could *at least* visit the website... Jesus...

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 9 Mar 2009 19:06:53
Message: <49b5a10d@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> > Saul Luizaga wrote:
> >> This stats say you are wrong and don't have clue what you are talking
> >> about , as you don't care putting a decent nick or your name, just
> >> "somebody", you don't care about altruistic deeds. But your conscience
> >> don't leave you alone so you have to post something to make it shut up
> >> and convince yourself that everything you do is always best. Nice...
> >> ironically people like you are first to cry out for help when something
> >> bad happens.
> >
> > With that attitude you really aren't inviting people to join...
> Man, if he could *at least* visit the website... Jesus...

  He is referring to your attitude.

  You want people to help. You are not going to get that help if you begin
insulting people when they ask questions.

  So what if the questions seem selfish to you. Do you want people to help
or not? If yes, then answer those questions appropriately rather than
starting to insult people and accuse them of whatever you think they are
doing wrong.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 9 Mar 2009 19:07:55
Message: <198br4l0f6haik8v4j5lf027let6r6lsq1@4ax.com>
On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:04:25 -0400, Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

>Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>>> This stats say you are wrong and don't have clue what you are talking
>>> about , as you don't care putting a decent nick or your name, just
>>> "somebody", you don't care about altruistic deeds. But your conscience
>>> don't leave you alone so you have to post something to make it shut up
>>> and convince yourself that everything you do is always best. Nice...
>>> ironically people like you are first to cry out for help when something
>>> bad happens.
>>
>> With that attitude you really aren't inviting people to join...
>Man, if he could *at least* visit the website... Jesus...

Don't you mean would?
--

Regards
     Stephen