POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid : Re: World Community Grid Server Time
1 Jun 2024 21:24:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 9 Mar 2009 18:22:27
Message: <49b596a3@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> "Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message
>> On 3/8/2009 11:18 AM, Saul Luizaga wrote:
>>> http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewAboutUs.do
>
>>> http://www.one.org/
>>>
>>> If you have any spare core(s)/CPU(s) please help to help, is for
>>> Humanity sake, thank you.
>> When I have spare cores/CPUs, I power them down.  Once I get my roof
>> coated in solar cells, with a windfarm behind my house, and I'm selling
>> power back to the grid despite running everything 24/7, THEN I'll
>> consider giving away my CPU time.
>>
>> As it is, my power bill is too expensive :(
>
> I wonder about the efficiency of distributed computing anyway. Sure, the
> cost is transfered from the researcher onto the public, so it's good for
> them, but considering the big picture, wouldn't it be more efficient to use
> one supercomputer in a controlled hardware and software environment than
> hundereds of thousands of motley PCs and the bandwidth, crosschecking,
> software, hosting... etc? You can put a dozen CPUs and memory chips on a
> rack mount motherboard with optimized high speed buses and you have the
> computing power of more than a three dozen random PCs, at a fraction of the
> energy expenditure, with the silly one motherboard per PC architecture,
> unnecessary HDs, video cards, other cards and peripherals.
>
> In short, just turn off your PC at night and donate part of the savings to
> your favourite research. It would probably be more beneficial for all.

Global Statistics
Statistics Last Updated: 3/9/09 12:05:59 (UTC) [8 hour(s) ago]
	Totals:
   	Members 	431,866
   	Devices 	1,200,203
   	Total Run Time 	223,417 years (As 1 PC running 24/7)
   	Points Generated 	100,949,508,634
   	Results Returned 	249,504,379
	Averages:
   	Run Time Per Calendar Day (y:d:h:m:s) 	136:327:16:15:32
   	Run Time Per Result (y:d:h:m:s) 	0:000:07:50:39
   	Points Per Hour of Run Time 	51.58
   	Points Per Calendar Day 	61,856,316.56
   	Points Per Result 	404.60
   	Results Per Calendar Day 	152,882.59
	Yesterday:
   	Total Run Time (y:d:h:m:s) 	238:250:03:58:30
   	Points Generated 	182,127,010
   	Results Returned 	362,215

248.879 TeraFLOPS (http://boincstats.com/stats/project_graph.php?pr=wcg)

This stats say you are wrong and don't have clue what you are talking
about , as you don't care putting a decent nick or your name, just
"somebody", you don't care about altruistic deeds. But your conscience
don't leave you alone so you have to post something to make it shut up
and convince yourself that everything you do is always best. Nice...
ironically people like you are first to cry out for help when something
bad happens.