POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Debian Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Debian (Message 31 to 40 of 60)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Debian
Date: 4 Mar 2009 14:42:30
Message: <49aed9a6$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 13:35:54 -0500, Warp wrote:

>   "In Linux when you want to configure anything you have to edit obscure
> files in obscure system directories using a text editor."
[...]
> nowadays almost exclusive to Slackware (and a few less known distros
> based on it or on the same principle).

Yes.  It also was common in RedHat when I was using it (5.2 - 9, pre-
Fedora).  The historical context is more important - Andy points this
out, actually, by repeating many statements that used to be correct about
Linux in general 10-15 years ago but are seldom correct today for the
vast majority of distributions.

>   "When you want to install new software, you have to always compile it
> from sources."

I would say that this latter comes from a combination of very early Slack
and LFS rather than Gentoo.  Gentoo is the most popular distro that uses
that as a package management system today, but the history of "build from
source" goes back farther than Gentoo.

Jim

Post a reply to this message