POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Dr POV-Ray (Message 121 to 130 of 176)
From: triple r
Subject: Re: Dr POV-Ray
Date: 22 Feb 2009 06:15:05
Message: <web.49a1327fce2515f163a1b7c30@news.povray.org>
> Yes, but... having a BSc already says all those things. I spent 4 years
> of my life studying for it, I learned all sorts of stuff, and in the end
> I did actually get my BSc. And yet, nobody gives a **** about that. How
> is a PhD different?

How is a PhD different?!?

A PhD is *entirely* different from a BSc.  Most people, myself included to some
extent, float through a BSc, just making sure they pass the tests and get the
homework in on time.  Professors spoon-feed students the basics of assorted
fields, and a mutual understanding has arisen that as long as students can
repeat what the professor told them, they'll get the degree.  The very fact
that so many can make it through undetected says volumes about the amount of
personal responsibility expected.  That does NOT mean it's worthless, and does
NOT mean it's easy.  You learn a lot getting a BSc but never really have to put
yourself out there.

For a PhD, you have to do the work.  You go out and find the relevant books and
papers.  Your advisor may give you something to accomplish, but you have to
figure out how to make it happen.  Sure, there are a few classes, but the
emphasis is entirely on the research.  *No one* floats through a PhD.  Some may
put in more effort than others, but to get the degree you have to demonstrate
that, whether your research is really revolutionary or not (it's probably not),
you are not only capable of comprehending and conversing in your field, but that
you are capable of actively researching, contributing to, and expanding your
field.

Think of a project you did for your BSc.  I don't mean to assume, but if it's
anything like projects I did, there was a clear set of guidelines and
requirements.  It only amounted to making something work.  Once that was done,
the project was done.  For a PhD, the project requires that you can make sense
of the field, figure out where the voids are, learn the prerequisite material
yourself, and ultimately discover something no one else knows the answer
to--and along the way, you interact with the best and most knowledgeable people
in your respective field.

Now I'm not trying to devalue a BSc, and I'm not trying to overstate the value
of a PhD or the people with them (this wouldn't include me anyway).  I'm only
trying to state the facts--that to say a BSc and PhD are really not so
different is simply not the truth.  They are different.  Very different.  And
employers will recognize the difference.

 - Ricky

Post a reply to this message