POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr POV-Ray Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr POV-Ray
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 22 Feb 2009 06:46:02
Message: <49a13afa$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Not true. If you're going for a technical position, even if it's
>> unrelated to your field of study, the fact that you are capable of
>> completing a PhD says a lot. It says you stick with the job, have a
>> capacity and interest for learning, have experience in
>> communication/dissemination, etc... and that's ignoring the
>> field-specific skills.
>
> Yes, but... having a BSc already says all those things. I spent 4 years
> of my life studying for it, I learned all sorts of stuff, and in the end
> I did actually get my BSc. And yet, nobody gives a **** about that. How
> is a PhD different?

A *good* BSc says you have a capacity for learning. I'm not convinced it
says anything more than that. My first degree certainly didn't equip me
with the ability to communicate effectively with my professional(!)
peers. If anything, it made me want to avoid giving presentations and so
forth even more! The experiences gained in a PhD are as valuable, and
real, as actual work experience. They're the same thing. For all intents
and purposes, you can regard a PhD project as a proper job.

That said, be proud of the BSc, it's still a valuable achievement and
puts you firmly in a higher category than most. But just think: you hold
the thought of a PhD in very high esteem - why shouldn't others too?

>> Speculative queries
> [snip]
>
> Well, maybe it's worth a giggle. ;-)

Absolutely. Worked for me. And I wasn't even looking for it with the
deliberation that you (hopefully) will be!