POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr POV-Ray Server Time
10 Oct 2024 07:49:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr POV-Ray
From: triple r
Date: 22 Feb 2009 06:30:00
Message: <web.49a13636ce2515f163a1b7c30@news.povray.org>
"triple_r" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> to get the degree you have to demonstrate
> that, whether your research is really revolutionary or not (it's probably not),
> you are not only capable of comprehending and conversing in your field, but that
> you are capable of actively researching, contributing to, and expanding your
> field.

Oh, one more thing to add:  If you're saying, "That doesn't sound like me...,"
well it doesn't sound like me either.  As was pointed out, just like a math
class, the point of it is to develop those skills.  If you already had them,
you would have no use for the degree.  Don't sell yourself short though.  You
appear to have figured out digital filters and a bit of knot theory on your
own, among other things.  That's not PhD-level research, but that's the same
kind of effort and skills it requires.  One purpose of an advisor is to channel
that effort so that you can learn what you need and not get lost.

 - Ricky