POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh Debian Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Oh Debian (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Invisible
Subject: Oh Debian
Date: 13 Feb 2009 09:18:46
Message: <49958146$1@news.povray.org>
Ah yes, the wonders of Debian.

Tell me, is there some way of operating the package manager where you
*don't* have to waste hours of your life trying to figure out why it
refuses to install the package you need?

I've tried several different ways, but I can't get any version of the
package I want actually installed.

- If I try from KPackage, it downloads a heap of stuff and attempts to
install it. Half way through, it tries to upgrade "libc6", and bombs out
with an opaque error. (Some subprocess terminated with exitcode 1.)

- If I try through apt-get, I just get a message to the effect of
"foo-123 requires bar-456 which won't be installed anyway". Um... so
install it for me then? What's the problem??

- I can't bring myself to try it with dselect. It's just too painful.

I'm not sure what else to try here... I guess I could invoke dpkg
directly. That'll be fun. :-/

I always hated this about Debian. There doesn't appear to be a simple
way to make it do what you want. :-(

Post a reply to this message

> Tell me, is there some way of operating the package manager where you
> *don't* have to waste hours of your life trying to figure out why it
> refuses to install the package you need?
>
> I've tried several different ways, but I can't get any version of the
> package I want actually installed.
>
> I'm not sure what else to try here...

Hmm. How interesting. If I do

   apt-get install darcs

I get all sorts of fun and games. However, if I do

   apt-get -t stable install darcs

it works perfectly first time. In fact, *everything* works first time.
So, um, *why* is this not the default?! o_O

/me walks off shaking his head...

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:59:49 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> it works perfectly first time. In fact, *everything* works first time.
> So, um, *why* is this not the default?! o_O

At a guess (as I don't use debian systems), you have more than one repo
set up and the package exists in more than one place - so the package
manager doesn't decide for you but requires that you select the repo you
want to install from?

Jim

Post a reply to this message