POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh Debian : Re: Oh Debian Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oh Debian
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 Feb 2009 14:21:53
Message: <4995c851$1@news.povray.org>
>> it works perfectly first time. In fact, *everything* works first time.
>> So, um, *why* is this not the default?! o_O
>
> At a guess (as I don't use debian systems), you have more than one repo
> set up and the package exists in more than one place - so the package
> manager doesn't decide for you but requires that you select the repo you
> want to install from?

As another guess, I think KNOPPIX is defaulting to using the "unstable"
branch rather than the "stable" branch, meaning it picks packages that
depend on whole new versions of libc and other critical infrastructure.

Telling it to pick the newest package from "stable" seems to make
everything work beautifully. I wonder why KNOPPIX is set this way?

OTOH... I asked for GHC, and I got version 6.6. That's *years* old
(current version is 6.10.1 - although note they skip odd-numbered
versions). Maybe that's why?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/