POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : BSD > Linux? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:17:14 EDT (-0400)
  BSD > Linux? (Message 2 to 11 of 11)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: BSD > Linux?
Date: 11 Feb 2009 09:57:47
Message: <4992e76a@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> So apparently Linux is slowly becoming popular. But what about that
> *other* open-source OS? Specifically, the various BSD variants?
> (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, DragonFly BSD, BSD on LSD...) Anybody know
> anything about them? Are they any different to Linux? Is anybody likely
> to care?

  Ever heard of this website called wikipedia?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 11 Feb 2009 09:58:40
Message: <4992e7a0$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
> So apparently Linux is slowly becoming popular. But what about that
> *other* open-source OS? Specifically, the various BSD variants?
> (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, DragonFly BSD, BSD on LSD...) Anybody know
> anything about them? Are they any different to Linux?

Not that much.  Different implementation of Unix-like system, pretty
much same interface, utilities, programs and libraries.

> Is anybody likely
> to care?

Yes, why not?

Post a reply to this message

>> So apparently Linux is slowly becoming popular. But what about that
>> *other* open-source OS? Specifically, the various BSD variants?
>> (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, DragonFly BSD, BSD on LSD...) Anybody know
>> anything about them? Are they any different to Linux? Is anybody likely
>> to care?
>
>   Ever heard of this website called wikipedia?

Wanna take a guess how I even know that BSD exists in the first place?

I was just wondering if anybody here has any real-world experience with it.

Post a reply to this message