POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : BSD > Linux? : Re: BSD > Linux? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BSD > Linux?
From: Warp
Date: 11 Feb 2009 14:24:46
Message: <499325fd@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > I was just wondering if anybody here has any real-world experience with it.

> sure, lots.  I have not because Linux seems more well suited for the
> desktop.  BSDs are used more on servers and well regarded at that:  "The
> power to serve" is not mere slogan... ;)

  Given that window managers such as KDE and Gnome compile and run just
fine on BSDs, as well as basically unix/linux software. why aren't BSDs
suited for desktops? It's not like you would see much of a difference...

  (Ok, I can think of one thing which might not work in BSDs very well:
The properietary ATI and NVidia display drivers, which are made as Linux
kernel modules. OTOH, I think that the third-party open source drivers
should work in BSD equally well as in Linux.)

--
                                                          - Warp