POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open Source Documentation Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Open Source Documentation (Message 14 to 23 of 23)
From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: Open Source Documentation
Date: 9 Feb 2009 03:50:00
Message: <web.498fedf5c3fb424df50167bc0@news.povray.org>

> Yes, but WHAT DOES IT DO??!? >_<
>
> Sometimes people are just too close to a project to remember that
> somebody else might not know this crucial information. Without that
> context, the rest often makes little or no sense.

Not restricted to software, either. How about microwave ovens?  Or the DVD
player I have? Manuals thick as a magazine, full of tech-speak. Far too often,
it seems that the engineers who create these gadgets are the same ones who
write the manuals.  Great engineers, terrible writers. Especially if the
instructions are originally written in a foreign language, then translated.
OMG!

Ken W.

Post a reply to this message

>> Sometimes people are just too close to a project to remember that
>> somebody else might not know this crucial information. Without that
>> context, the rest often makes little or no sense.
>
> Not restricted to software, either. How about microwave ovens?  Or the DVD
> player I have? Manuals thick as a magazine, full of tech-speak. Far too often,
> it seems that the engineers who create these gadgets are the same ones who
> write the manuals.  Great engineers, terrible writers. Especially if the
> instructions are originally written in a foreign language, then translated.
> OMG!

Actually... most such items I've seen have quite good manuals. E.g., my
dad's CD player has an extensive manual that explains more or less
everything you could possibly want to know - given that we're talking
about a device where you put a CD in, press the big green button, and it
plays music.

The fun ones are motherboard manuals. These are always auto-translated
from Korean, and you often get the impression that the person writing
the documentation isn't completely sure what option X actually does! o_O

Post a reply to this message