POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open Source Documentation : Re: Open Source Documentation Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open Source Documentation
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Feb 2009 04:18:45
Message: <498ff4f5$1@news.povray.org>
>> Yes, but WHAT DOES IT DO??!? >_<
>>
>> Sometimes people are just too close to a project to remember that
>> somebody else might not know this crucial information. Without that
>> context, the rest often makes little or no sense.
>
> Not restricted to software, either. How about microwave ovens?  Or the DVD
> player I have? Manuals thick as a magazine, full of tech-speak. Far too often,
> it seems that the engineers who create these gadgets are the same ones who
> write the manuals.  Great engineers, terrible writers. Especially if the
> instructions are originally written in a foreign language, then translated.
> OMG!

Actually... most such items I've seen have quite good manuals. E.g., my
dad's CD player has an extensive manual that explains more or less
everything you could possibly want to know - given that we're talking
about a device where you put a CD in, press the big green button, and it
plays music.

The fun ones are motherboard manuals. These are always auto-translated
from Korean, and you often get the impression that the person writing
the documentation isn't completely sure what option X actually does! o_O