POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open Source Documentation : Re: Open Source Documentation Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open Source Documentation
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Feb 2009 19:42:48
Message: <49921f08@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> You gotta love some of the open source documentation out there.

More silliness.

They show a picture of a bunch of spheres with the Lambert shader.

Then they give a description of the Minnaert shader:

"""
Minnaert works by darkening parts of the standard Lambertian shader, so if
Dark is 1 you get exactly the Lambertian result. Higher darkness values will
darken the center of an object (where it points towards the viewer). Lower
darkness values will lighten the edges of the object, making it look
somewhat velvet.
"""

I spend a couple minutes trying to figure out where the difference is,
before I look in the corner and realize they set it up with "Dark:1" in the
options. Very helpful!

(So far, I like POV much better for everything but the modeling itself. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"