POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Playing Crysis Server Time
9 Oct 2024 17:47:58 EDT (-0400)
  Playing Crysis (Message 72 to 81 of 101)
From: St
Subject: Re: Playing Crysis
Date: 11 Feb 2009 19:21:30
Message: <49936b8a$2@news.povray.org>
news:498c6fc9$1@news.povray.org...
>>> Ah yes, as with so many games, I have now reached an impass. :-}
>>
>>       Which part?
>
> I'm at one end of a large valley. I need to get to the other end along the
> river. Except that that's the way I just came, and the entire KPA is
> already looking for me there.

    And? Take them out. Reload that level and go take'em out Soldier! >:o(

> I've tried everything I can think of, but I can't find any way out of the
> valley without going past all the patrols. It could take months to stealth
> past them all - and one wrong move and I'll be instantly cut to mincemeat
> by the hopelessly outnumbering hordes.

    :)

> Still, I guess this is what hardened game players call "fun". (Personally,
> I prefer having a possibility of victory. When defeat is certain, that
> isn't fun for me.)

   Lol, you gave up before you even started. What difficulty level did you
play it on?

     Try the hardest. ;)

     ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 11 Feb 2009 19:21:30
Message: <49936b8a$4@news.povray.org>
> St. wrote:
>
>>     So what's your FPS? Bring the console down in-game, and type:
>> r_displayinfo 1
>
> I swam onto the beach at the beginning of the game, and got about 40 FPS.
> If you swing the camera around enough for motion blur to kick in, it drops
> slightly, but not much. Night vision appears to make no difference.
>
> The cutscene where they find Astec dropped to about 18 FPS. Some really
> large scenic vistas take it as low as 15 FPS (though curiosly an entire
> frame full of dense jungle is no problem, only long-range views).
> Typically the framerate stays above 25 FPS, which is all the monitor can
> physically display anyway, so I'm happy.
>
> This is at 1680x1050 (the native resolution of my LCD) with everything set
> to "high" plus 8x antialias.

      Well, that all sounds pretty damn cool, I'm in for an upgrade at some
point then. :)

       ~Steve~

> --
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/
> http://www.zazzle.com/MathematicalOrchid*

Post a reply to this message

>> I swam onto the beach at the beginning of the game, and got about 40 FPS.
>> If you swing the camera around enough for motion blur to kick in, it drops
>> slightly, but not much. Night vision appears to make no difference.
>>
>> The cutscene where they find Astec dropped to about 18 FPS. Some really
>> large scenic vistas take it as low as 15 FPS (though curiosly an entire
>> frame full of dense jungle is no problem, only long-range views).
>> Typically the framerate stays above 25 FPS, which is all the monitor can
>> physically display anyway, so I'm happy.
>>
>> This is at 1680x1050 (the native resolution of my LCD) with everything set
>> to "high" plus 8x antialias.
>
>       Well, that all sounds pretty damn cool, I'm in for an upgrade at some
> point then. :)

Heh. Maybe if I'd gone for the triple GTX 280 option it would have given
me consistently high framerates all through. :-P But I actually suspect
my CPU is the bottleneck here. They recommend on quite a bit faster than
what I have.

Post a reply to this message

>> I'm at one end of a large valley. I need to get to the other end along the
>> river. Except that that's the way I just came, and the entire KPA is
>> already looking for me there.
>
>     And? Take them out. Reload that level and go take'em out Soldier! >:o(
>

>> I've tried everything I can think of, but I can't find any way out of the
>> valley without going past all the patrols. It could take months to stealth
>> past them all - and one wrong move and I'll be instantly cut to mincemeat
>> by the hopelessly outnumbering hordes.
>
>     :)
>

>> Still, I guess this is what hardened game players call "fun". (Personally,
>> I prefer having a possibility of victory. When defeat is certain, that
>> isn't fun for me.)
>
>    Lol, you gave up before you even started. What difficulty level did you
> play it on?
>
>      Try the hardest. ;)

This was on the lowest difficulty setting available.

My mistake was trying to follow the river. I eventually figured out that
I actually want to go the other way. Once you sneak into the bushes and
get far enough away, people stop chasing you.

Post a reply to this message