POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bitter failure Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:52 EDT (-0400)
  Bitter failure (Message 1 to 10 of 39)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Bitter failure
Date: 4 Feb 2009 17:05:20
Message: <498a1120$1@news.povray.org>
Well, now I'm really heartbroken.

I've got a shiny new GPU that I've spent hundreds of pounds on, and it's
taken me over a week to get to the stage where I can use it. This should
be the crowning glory!

However...

- My old GPU was already fast enough to do just about anything you could
want. The new one is approximately 4x better according to 3Dmark 05, but
since the old one was already good enough, there's not really any
visible benefit.

- It comes with a free license key to unlock the full version of 3Dmark
Vantage. I've run several versions of 3Dmark, but always the crippled
"free" version that hardly does anything. Finally, I can run a full
version... Wait, no I can't. It *demands* Windows Vista and refuses to
work without it. (Which I guess is fair enough; it's entire purpose is
to test all the new DirectX 10 stuff.)

- One night I sat down and ran all the demos from nVidia's website. The
last few wouldn't run because I only had a 7-series GPU. In particular,
I dearly wanted to run Cascades. Now I have a suitable GPU, and I can
fina- wait, no, *this* demands DirectX 10 also. As do almost all the
demos I couldn't run before, actually.

- One of the main reasons I went for this super-expensive GPU rather
than just buying a much cheaper model was so that I could have CUDA
support. I'm extremely excited about this technology, which became
available just *after* I got my previous card. Finally I have a suitable
GPU, and there's a Flame renderer that I dearly want to use. It does the
same thing as the normal Flame renderer, just 50x faster! 8-D Except
that... I can't make it work. It will render on the CPU, but nothing I
do can convince it to use my beautiful new GPU to go trippy-fast.

In short, every single thing I wanted to do now I have this new GPU
actually fails to work. I've spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds for
nothing.

I want a hug... :'{

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> - My old GPU was already fast enough to do just about anything you could
> want. The new one is approximately 4x better according to 3Dmark 05, but
> since the old one was already good enough, there's not really any
> visible benefit.

  Now I'm puzzled. What is it that you do with your computer if you don't
play games? You don't sound to me like a person who owns a computer to do
business with it, so what else is a computer nerd going to do with it?

  Want some bang for your buck? Then go and buy same recent games.
Try, for example, BioShock or Mirror's Edge.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> In short, every single thing I wanted to do now I have this new GPU
> actually fails to work. I've spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds for
> nothing.

	Advice: When you're going to shell out lots of money, do your research
to find out whether the product can actually do what you want.

--
Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.

                    /\  /\               /\  /
                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl

Post a reply to this message

> Try, for example, BioShock or Mirror's Edge.

Both of which are pretty cool, actually. Altho I only played the demo of
Mirror's Edge. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"

Post a reply to this message

>> - My old GPU was already fast enough to do just about anything you could
>> want. The new one is approximately 4x better according to 3Dmark 05, but
>> since the old one was already good enough, there's not really any
>> visible benefit.
>
>   Now I'm puzzled. What is it that you do with your computer if you don't
> play games? You don't sound to me like a person who owns a computer to do
> business with it, so what else is a computer nerd going to do with it?

What's the name of this news server? ;-)

No, seriously... I run POV-Ray, FractInt, Apophysis, and various other

music production software installed. There are of course always new
programs to be written - in Haskell, naturally. And let us not forget
chattering to you lot! :-P

Then there's the various computer games I play. Until HL2 came out, I
never used to play computer games at all really. But since HL2, I've
been playing quite a few Valve titles - the HL2 series, CSS, and most
recently TF2.

>   Want some bang for your buck? Then go and buy same recent games.
> Try, for example, BioShock or Mirror's Edge.

I was under the impression that TF2 and HL2:EP2 *are* pretty recent
games. ;-)

But anyway, I'm looking at getting hold of Crisis at some point.
Presumably that will be a suitably vertical test of my hardware... (!)

(I'm also looking at Call of Duty 4, since apparently it's available for
PC. Although the game everybody in my clan is talking about is Left 4
Dead...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/