POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bitter failure : Bitter failure Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:15:04 EDT (-0400)
  Bitter failure
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 4 Feb 2009 17:05:20
Message: <498a1120$1@news.povray.org>
Well, now I'm really heartbroken.

I've got a shiny new GPU that I've spent hundreds of pounds on, and it's
taken me over a week to get to the stage where I can use it. This should
be the crowning glory!

However...

- My old GPU was already fast enough to do just about anything you could
want. The new one is approximately 4x better according to 3Dmark 05, but
since the old one was already good enough, there's not really any
visible benefit.

- It comes with a free license key to unlock the full version of 3Dmark
Vantage. I've run several versions of 3Dmark, but always the crippled
"free" version that hardly does anything. Finally, I can run a full
version... Wait, no I can't. It *demands* Windows Vista and refuses to
work without it. (Which I guess is fair enough; it's entire purpose is
to test all the new DirectX 10 stuff.)

- One night I sat down and ran all the demos from nVidia's website. The
last few wouldn't run because I only had a 7-series GPU. In particular,
I dearly wanted to run Cascades. Now I have a suitable GPU, and I can
fina- wait, no, *this* demands DirectX 10 also. As do almost all the
demos I couldn't run before, actually.

- One of the main reasons I went for this super-expensive GPU rather
than just buying a much cheaper model was so that I could have CUDA
support. I'm extremely excited about this technology, which became
available just *after* I got my previous card. Finally I have a suitable
GPU, and there's a Flame renderer that I dearly want to use. It does the
same thing as the normal Flame renderer, just 50x faster! 8-D Except
that... I can't make it work. It will render on the CPU, but nothing I
do can convince it to use my beautiful new GPU to go trippy-fast.

In short, every single thing I wanted to do now I have this new GPU
actually fails to work. I've spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds for
nothing.

I want a hug... :'{

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/