POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bitter failure : Re: Bitter failure Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:15:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bitter failure
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Feb 2009 02:24:53
Message: <498a9445$1@news.povray.org>
>> - My old GPU was already fast enough to do just about anything you could
>> want. The new one is approximately 4x better according to 3Dmark 05, but
>> since the old one was already good enough, there's not really any
>> visible benefit.
>
>   Now I'm puzzled. What is it that you do with your computer if you don't
> play games? You don't sound to me like a person who owns a computer to do
> business with it, so what else is a computer nerd going to do with it?

What's the name of this news server? ;-)

No, seriously... I run POV-Ray, FractInt, Apophysis, and various other

music production software installed. There are of course always new
programs to be written - in Haskell, naturally. And let us not forget
chattering to you lot! :-P

Then there's the various computer games I play. Until HL2 came out, I
never used to play computer games at all really. But since HL2, I've
been playing quite a few Valve titles - the HL2 series, CSS, and most
recently TF2.

>   Want some bang for your buck? Then go and buy same recent games.
> Try, for example, BioShock or Mirror's Edge.

I was under the impression that TF2 and HL2:EP2 *are* pretty recent
games. ;-)

But anyway, I'm looking at getting hold of Crisis at some point.
Presumably that will be a suitably vertical test of my hardware... (!)

(I'm also looking at Call of Duty 4, since apparently it's available for
PC. Although the game everybody in my clan is talking about is Left 4
Dead...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/