POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A second comming Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:16:39 EDT (-0400)
  A second comming (Message 11 to 20 of 85)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: A second comming
Date: 9 Feb 2009 06:16:42
Message: <4990109a@news.povray.org>
>> Yeah, well... some people don't seem to realise that this is even the
>> wrong response.
>
> If you want to stop your car actually spinning around and are happy for
> it just to carry on sliding in a predictable manner then slamming on the
> brakes is the best thing to do.  If you don't then at some point the car
> will get some grip back and make some sudden movement you probably
> weren't expecting. Depends on the situation of course, but it's wrong to
> say never brake if you are skidding.

Sure. But slamming the brakes hard on while making wild steering
movements is really not a good way to regain control of the vehicle.
That's all I'm saying.

>> I guess that's the thing. When I was a child, it used to snow *every
>> year*. As in, the whole country would be under perhaps a foot or so of
>> snow for at least a few weeks every single year.
>
> Sorry, but IIRC I'm roughly the same age as you and I certainly don't
> remember it ever being like that.  I can remember ONCE when we had as
> much snow as you seem to have had recently, that was the only time I got
> to see a snow plough come down our road.  Certainly it never lasted for
> more than a day or two, and certainly not every year.

Maybe it varies across the UK? Apparently (according to the MET office)
the average temperature in, say, Devon is several degrees higher than
where I live.

Certainly this is the first time I can remember this millennium when
there's been enough snow to make a real snowman, not an anemic excuse
for one. Last time I can remember that happening is 1994 - which is a
rather long time ago.

As I say, it used to be a regular yearly thing. That's why we have
Christmas cards showing the English countryside burried under feet of
snow. It used to happen all the time. It's rare now...

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 11:16:39 +0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

> Last time I can remember that happening is 1994 - which is a
>rather long time ago.

Whippersnapper

>As I say, it used to be a regular yearly thing. That's why we have
>Christmas cards showing the English countryside burried under feet of
>snow. It used to happen all the time. It's rare now...

Winters are getting milder IMO too.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> Sure. But slamming the brakes hard on while making wild steering movements
> is really not a good way to regain control of the vehicle. That's all I'm
> saying.

Any wild movements are never good, even on wet or dry roads :-)

> Maybe it varies across the UK? Apparently (according to the MET office)
> the average temperature in, say, Devon is several degrees higher than
> where I live.

Yeh I guess growing up within a few miles of the south coast kept things
pretty warm...

Post a reply to this message

>> Sure. But slamming the brakes hard on while making wild steering
>> movements is really not a good way to regain control of the vehicle.
>> That's all I'm saying.
>
> Any wild movements are never good, even on wet or dry roads :-)

Uh, affirm.

>> Maybe it varies across the UK? Apparently (according to the MET
>> office) the average temperature in, say, Devon is several degrees
>> higher than where I live.
>
> Yeh I guess growing up within a few miles of the south coast kept things
> pretty warm...

I got two words for you. One of them means a large gap, and the other
means a small water course... ;-)

Post a reply to this message