POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A second comming : Re: A second comming Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A second comming
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Feb 2009 06:16:42
Message: <4990109a@news.povray.org>
>> Yeah, well... some people don't seem to realise that this is even the
>> wrong response.
>
> If you want to stop your car actually spinning around and are happy for
> it just to carry on sliding in a predictable manner then slamming on the
> brakes is the best thing to do.  If you don't then at some point the car
> will get some grip back and make some sudden movement you probably
> weren't expecting. Depends on the situation of course, but it's wrong to
> say never brake if you are skidding.

Sure. But slamming the brakes hard on while making wild steering
movements is really not a good way to regain control of the vehicle.
That's all I'm saying.

>> I guess that's the thing. When I was a child, it used to snow *every
>> year*. As in, the whole country would be under perhaps a foot or so of
>> snow for at least a few weeks every single year.
>
> Sorry, but IIRC I'm roughly the same age as you and I certainly don't
> remember it ever being like that.  I can remember ONCE when we had as
> much snow as you seem to have had recently, that was the only time I got
> to see a snow plough come down our road.  Certainly it never lasted for
> more than a day or two, and certainly not every year.

Maybe it varies across the UK? Apparently (according to the MET office)
the average temperature in, say, Devon is several degrees higher than
where I live.

Certainly this is the first time I can remember this millennium when
there's been enough snow to make a real snowman, not an anemic excuse
for one. Last time I can remember that happening is 1994 - which is a
rather long time ago.

As I say, it used to be a regular yearly thing. That's why we have
Christmas cards showing the English countryside burried under feet of
snow. It used to happen all the time. It's rare now...