POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A second comming : Re: A second comming Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A second comming
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 9 Feb 2009 12:09:02
Message: <4990632e@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> Well, brakes tend to be "on or off", if you don't have ABS, pumping the

New car's brakes usually feel like that, but after a while one can found
a analog curve of braking power in even them.

> What I do on ice if accelerating is take my foot off the gas and drop the
> car to 3rd gear (I drive an automatic, but this works in a manual
> transmission car as well).  Don't touch the brakes, because in general it
> won't do anything but cause you to lose control.

You don't have to slam the brakes, you know? The curve for braking power
is analog one (ie. non-digital), so you can amount any power between
minimum and maximum to the brakes (like you do at summer, just be more
careful). Naturally the feeling is different in different cars, but it's
still there, it just need a bit of practice.

> I also will occasionally tap the brakes to see if the car will slow
> down.  It's important to do this while the wheels are pointing forward,
> though; if you do this and have the wheels turned, you could spin out of
> control if the circumstances are right.

Another way is to give some gas and check if the wheels start spinning.
On FWD car this won't make any kind of spinning of the car itself.
Naturally you'll need to know your tires to know how well you can brake
by this test.

> The best option is to find a different route if you encounter an icy hill
> - up or down.

If you'll need to get up an icy hill outside of public roads and have an
FWD car, go reverse - you'll gain more traction on the front wheels that
way.

> The important thing when driving on ice is to not make any sudden changes
> - sudden turns, slamming on the brakes, fast acceleration - all of these
> can cause a loss of control.

True. It's also a good habit to find a large field oslt to test out
these things. The better you'll feel the road and know the car, the
better your instincts will perform before you can think what's even
happening - therefore the better are your chances to survive ;).

> Jim

-Aero