POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ask the engineer Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:17 EDT (-0400)
  Ask the engineer (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Invisible
Subject: Ask the engineer
Date: 30 Jan 2009 08:42:25
Message: <498303c1@news.povray.org>
OK, so here's a question.

When you look at product datasheets, sometimes they quote an "MTBF"
figure. (As in, Mean Time Between Failures.) The question is... do these
numbers mean anything? Are they a product measurement, or a design goal?
(I.e., do you *design* a product to have an MTBF of over 100,000 hours?
Or do you design a product and then *measure* what it's MTBF actually
is?) What exactly is the mean taken over?

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:42:23 +0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>Or do you design a product and then *measure* what it's MTBF actually
>is?) What exactly is the mean taken over?

Yes, the mean is generally taken from installation to the present or the last
reporting period.

And there is also mean time to repair (MTTR)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> Or do you design a product and then *measure* what it's MTBF actually
>> is?) What exactly is the mean taken over?
>
> Yes, the mean is generally taken from installation to the present or the last
> reporting period.
>
> And there is also mean time to repair (MTTR)

So... you design your product, set up a million of them, measure how
long it takes each one to fail, and take the arithmetic mean of that?

Post a reply to this message