POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. (Message 41 to 50 of 219)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
Date: 21 Jan 2009 13:48:39
Message: <49776e07$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> So from this, and hearing that it would actually take an eternity (as seen from
> an outside observer) to *reach* the event horizon,

This still doesn't make sense to me, I fear.

You give one particle that is constantly emitting photons in all directions
a push due south towards the singularity. You have an observer due north of
the singularity looking south.  The observer due north will continue to see
photons coming off the particle indefinitely?

> it sounds logical to me that
> in fact the event horizon *is* the singularity...

But it's not.

> If you'd take that trip, you'd experience it as being torn to
> pieces by tidal forces,

Tidal forces are a difference in gravity gradient between head and feet.
It's not an absolute number. A sufficiently small pebble would experience
very little tidal effect regardless of how close to the primary it orbits. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"

Post a reply to this message