POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: clipka
Date: 21 Jan 2009 14:10:01
Message: <web.497771efc995525dbdc576310@news.povray.org>
> "Spin" is a fascinating concept related to symmetry. A "spin 1/2" particle
> means if you turn it 180 degrees, it looks the same. So a "two of diamonds"
> playing card would be "spin 1/2" - it looks the same right side up as upside
> down. (Discounting, of course, that it's 3D, so has a back that's different
> from the front.)

IIRC it's just the other way round - so you have to turn quite a lot of
subatomic particles around twice to get them look the same again...?

> It's lost because it cannot influence other particles in the local area. Of
> course, that's because the particles outside the horizon are a spacelike
> distance from the particles inside the horizon, so maybe you're right. Maybe
> it's the equivalent of being outside the cosmological horizon.

Does there exist such a thing? It doesn't have this "one way ticket" thing to it
like black holes do.

AIUI the cosmological horizon is just the distance we can see *now*. Everything
beyond will become visible to us over time. Theoretically speaking.