POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : DFT and FFT Server Time
9 Oct 2024 21:15:57 EDT (-0400)
  DFT and FFT (Message 16 to 25 of 55)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: DFT and FFT
Date: 18 Jan 2009 17:02:40
Message: <4973A768.2060408@hotmail.com>
On 18-Jan-09 22:49, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> That's pretty trivial mathematics compared to tensor calculus type
>>> stuff.
>>> :-)  I'm not too bad at discrete math.
>>
>> Tensor calculus isn't so bad.  Among other things, I gave my nephew my
>> tensor
>> calculus book this past summer for his baby shower.  Gotta get kids
>> started
>> early these days, y'know.
>
> I still can't figure out what a "tensor" is. :-P

multidimensional vector.

Post a reply to this message

From: triple r
Date: 18 Jan 2009 17:35:00
Message: <web.4973ad9892d55383ef2b9ba40@news.povray.org>
> I still can't figure out what a "tensor" is. :-P

scalar = tensor of rank 0
vector = tensor of rank 1

For example, the stress tensor is a rank 2 tensor since you quantify stress in a
plane and thus need two indices to describe which plane you're talking about.
So the (1,3) element if you wrote it as a matrix would correspond to stress in
the x-z plane.  This makes for 9 elements total.  Now if we're talking
relativity and such, it gets a little more complex.  But I guess you already
looked it up on Wikipedia, so I don't know what I'm rambling on about.

 - Ricky

Post a reply to this message

> >> That's pretty trivial mathematics compared to tensor calculus type stuff.
> >> :-)  I'm not too bad at discrete math.
> >
> > Tensor calculus isn't so bad.  Among other things, I gave my nephew my tensor
> > calculus book this past summer for his baby shower.  Gotta get kids started
> > early these days, y'know.
>
> I still can't figure out what a "tensor" is. :-P
>
> --
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/
> http://www.zazzle.com/MathematicalOrchid*

meh, from the title thought you were talking about Final Fantasy Tactics and
perhaps some sequel... :)

Post a reply to this message