POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : DFT and FFT : Re: ax^2 + bx + c = 0 Server Time
9 Oct 2024 19:25:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ax^2 + bx + c = 0
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Jan 2009 07:31:49
Message: <497472b5@news.povray.org>
>> But why is that, exactly? Well, looking in my sister's A-level maths
>> book [unlike me, my sister was *taught* mathematics] I discover a long
>> sequence of algebraic manipulations that slowly transforms the one
>> into the other.
>
> It's not that hard or long, just involves dividing by a, completing the
> square for the first two terms, rearranging, taking the square root, and
> rearranging again for x.

Yeah. As I said, a sequence of algebraic operations which "just happen"
to lead to the answer we seek. (As in, there's no *apparent* reason why
this particular sequence of operations does it, as opposed to some other.)

I also note in passing that I have no clue what "completing the square"
actually means. But then, I have no formal mathematical education at
all, so it's a miracle I even comprehend algebra in the first place!

> But I imagine the cubic is a lot harder.

http://planetmath.org/?op=getobj&from=objects&id=1407

Does it make your eyes bleed?