POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Acer Aspire 5000 Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Acer Aspire 5000 (Message 31 to 40 of 63)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Acer Aspire 5000
Date: 9 Jan 2009 04:37:14
Message: <49671aca$1@news.povray.org>
> I am unsure. One would hope that powering down the system if a hard-limit
> temperature is reached *is* in hardware rather than software. OTOH, here
> we have a laptop which got sufficiently hot for the CPU to malfunction
> fairly seriously, yet still the power remains on.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hot-spot,365.html

It's quite old, but the basic outcome seems to be that the Intel CPUs are
impossible to damage by overheating.  With the AMD chip it relies on the
motherboard, but their demo shows that a motherboard temperature sensor
cannot react quickly enough to avoid frying the CPU when the HS comes off.

Post a reply to this message