POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Acer Aspire 5000 : Re: Acer Aspire 5000 Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:18:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Acer Aspire 5000
From: scott
Date: 9 Jan 2009 05:34:27
Message: <49672833@news.povray.org>
> As an aside... How much heat does the human brain generate?

You can do a quick estimation by seeing how much heat is radiated, the skin
temperature is approximately 32 degrees, room temperature is 20 degrees, and
the surface area of your head is, umm about 0.08m^2.  Using the
Stefan-Boltzmann law I make that about 6W of radiated heat.  Given that the
human body generates about 100W, I think the 6W figure is too low, as some
of the heat from the brain will be taken into the body by the blood stream
(liquid cooling!).  I guess around 20W would be a more sensible figure.

> (By every estimate I've seen, it has vastly superior theoretical
> computational power compared to any supercomputer yet built by man.)

If my computer were as slow as me doing sums it would probably run on solar
power in the dark!  And if I tried to do 3 billion sums in one second my
head would surely explode.