POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Acer Aspire 5000 : Re: Acer Aspire 5000 Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Acer Aspire 5000
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Jan 2009 05:04:54
Message: <49672146@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hot-spot,365.html
>
> It's quite old, but the basic outcome seems to be that the Intel CPUs
> are impossible to damage by overheating.  With the AMD chip it relies on
> the motherboard, but their demo shows that a motherboard temperature
> sensor cannot react quickly enough to avoid frying the CPU when the HS
> comes off.

Oh wow... 370°C after 1 second? That's pretty special!

Looking at this, it seems that in "the old days" some CPUs didn't have
any temperature sensors at all. I would imagine given the *huge* amounts
of heat that newer CPUs generate, this must have changed by now.

I still don't know whether the fan speed is hardware or software
controlled, but I would think by now the system will at least turn
itself off in a thermal emergency without software intervention.

As an aside... How much heat does the human brain generate? (By every
estimate I've seen, it has vastly superior theoretical computational
power compared to any supercomputer yet built by man.) How come human
brains don't ignite and burn during normal operation? I don't see any
really large heat sinks on a human...