POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Acer Aspire 5000 Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Acer Aspire 5000 (Message 24 to 33 of 63)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Acer Aspire 5000
Date: 8 Jan 2009 18:59:19
Message: <49669357$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> I guess I just *assumed* that a safety-critical feature like "don't
>>> burn down my house" would be hard-wired into the device.
>>
>> I don't think CPU temperature is safety critical. The CPU basically
>> burns out before the heat gets high enough to set anything outside the
>> case on fire.
>
> Well, perhaps. But CPU temperature is *utterly* critical to being able
> to continue using your laptop. If it gets hot enough, the CPU will burn
> out, and then your laptop is a very expensive paper weight. (!)

Yep. But that's not safety critical. :-) Indeed, that's exactly why it
*isn't* safety critical.  Unlike say batteries blowing up, which *are*
safety critical and which therefore have hardware in the charger to keep
from blowing them up.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?