POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Acer Aspire 5000 : Re: Acer Aspire 5000 Server Time
9 Oct 2024 20:49:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Acer Aspire 5000
From: scott
Date: 9 Jan 2009 03:08:45
Message: <4967060d$1@news.povray.org>
> Well, perhaps. But CPU temperature is *utterly* critical to being able to
> continue using your laptop. If it gets hot enough, the CPU will burn out,
> and then your laptop is a very expensive paper weight. (!)

Can this actually happen though, or does the CPU just shut down before it
knows it is going to melt?

When I built my sister's PC the heat sink clip had snapped without me
knowing, so the heat sink was hanging off one side.  Every time I tried to
install Windows it just turned off after about 20 seconds.  It wasn't until
I took the case off that I realised the problem.