POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Acer Aspire 5000 Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Acer Aspire 5000 (Message 21 to 30 of 63)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Acer Aspire 5000
Date: 8 Jan 2009 13:45:08
Message: <496649b4$1@news.povray.org>
Tom Austin wrote:

> I have an aspire 5100 that did the same thing for about the 1st year
> that I had it.

Oh... good. o_O

Nice to know it's well-designed then. :-/

Seriously, I bought my sister a new laptop because hers was lame. This
new one is really failing to impress me.

> Now it works flawlessly - I don't know what fixed it, and I don't know
> what was wrong, but it doesn't lock up anymore at all.  I can't remember
> the last time it froze.
>

> My guess was the wireless drivers, but I have nothing to substantiate
> it.  Try using it with the wireless turned off and see if that changes
> anything.

Well, initially I didn't even *install* the wireless drivers. (I
couldn't, because I didn't have them to hand.) Made no difference. Ditto
for sound and video.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> I guess I just *assumed* that a safety-critical feature like "don't burn
> down my house" would be hard-wired into the device.

I don't think CPU temperature is safety critical. The CPU basically burns
out before the heat gets high enough to set anything outside the case on fire.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?

Post a reply to this message

>> I guess I just *assumed* that a safety-critical feature like "don't
>> burn down my house" would be hard-wired into the device.
>
> I don't think CPU temperature is safety critical. The CPU basically
> burns out before the heat gets high enough to set anything outside the
> case on fire.

Well, perhaps. But CPU temperature is *utterly* critical to being able
to continue using your laptop. If it gets hot enough, the CPU will burn
out, and then your laptop is a very expensive paper weight. (!)

I'd be... kind of "upset" if that happened to me. o_O

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>>> I guess I just *assumed* that a safety-critical feature like "don't
>>> burn down my house" would be hard-wired into the device.
>>
>> I don't think CPU temperature is safety critical. The CPU basically
>> burns out before the heat gets high enough to set anything outside the
>> case on fire.
>
> Well, perhaps. But CPU temperature is *utterly* critical to being able
> to continue using your laptop. If it gets hot enough, the CPU will burn
> out, and then your laptop is a very expensive paper weight. (!)

Yep. But that's not safety critical. :-) Indeed, that's exactly why it
*isn't* safety critical.  Unlike say batteries blowing up, which *are*
safety critical and which therefore have hardware in the charger to keep
from blowing them up.