POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Virtual PC and Linux sharing files? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Virtual PC and Linux sharing files? (Message 1 to 10 of 30)
From: Darren New
Subject: Virtual PC and Linux sharing files?
Date: 6 Jan 2009 13:11:48
Message: <49639ee4@news.povray.org>
Is there an easy way to do this? It's trivial to share a CD drive, simple to
share a SMB share if the child machine is running Windows. Has anyone run
Linux under MS Virtual PC and gotten it to mount a share to talk to the host
operating system thru?  It's kind of annoying to have to burn files to a CD
to copy them in and out.  I saw the bit about mounting .vhd drives on the
host, but it looks kind of daunting to try out.  Simpler would be better.
--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?

Post a reply to this message

> Is there an easy way to do this? It's trivial to share a CD drive,
> simple to share a SMB share if the child machine is running Windows. Has
> anyone run Linux under MS Virtual PC and gotten it to mount a share to
> talk to the host operating system thru?  It's kind of annoying to have
> to burn files to a CD to copy them in and out.  I saw the bit about
> mounting .vhd drives on the host, but it looks kind of daunting to try
> out.  Simpler would be better.

FWIW, I used Sun's Virtual Box (www.virtualbox.org) and was able to
share folders between Windows and Ubuntu rather easily. You may want to
try that VPC host, its very nice and has extensions for many Linux
distros that can make life easier. It was quite easy to set up, and IIRC
sharing only required running a simple installer on the guest machine.

You could also "burn" an ISO file, and mount that in Virtual PC. (IIRC,
if not mount the ISO in virtual CloneDrive on the host OS)

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message