POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux RPM question Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Linux RPM question (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Darren New
Subject: Linux RPM question
Date: 4 Jan 2009 21:47:55
Message: <496174db$1@news.povray.org>
As an aside to the beta install discussion, is it possible to install an RPM
as an unprivileged user in Linux, in a way that it uses what's installed or
tells you what needs updating? That would certainly make it easier for me to
figure out when I upgrade something whether I can test code with local
versions of stuff.

I.e., say I have a relatively complex system, and I want to test out a new
version of MySQL. Is there a way to take the RPM and tell it to install
things "locally" or "for one user", and have it put it in a non-privileged
directory?  Will it look at current versions of packages, tell me what else
it needs, etc etc?  Or does the package system really only work well for
root, and installing locally needs you to basically compile it from sources?

I did some googling, but the answers I found are trying to be helpful
without explaining how much pain is actually involved. Is it easier to set
up a second machine than to have (say) two versions of Apache installed on
the same machine?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?