POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux RPM question : Re: Linux RPM question Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:17:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux RPM question
From: nemesis
Date: 4 Jan 2009 22:45:00
Message: <web.4961813fe08871f9e44542980@news.povray.org>
> As an aside to the beta install discussion, is it possible to install an RPM
> as an unprivileged user in Linux, in a way that it uses what's installed or
> tells you what needs updating?

Tough luck, I think.  It's really a centralized system for root.  However, you
may try this:

rpm -iv --relocate <oldpath>=<newdesiredpath> package.rpm

Since it's an unprivileged operation, I don't think it'll cause you much pain to
try it out. :)

It'll probably not work because it'll try to use and update the system-wide rpm
db.  So, you could copy such system-wide db (/var/rpmsomething?  I'm on
vacation and not on Linux right now) to some local dir and use that instead:

rpm -iv --dbpath <path> --relocate <oldpath>=<newdesiredpath> package.rpm

Worth a shot, I guess.  Of course, updates to the main db won't be reflected on
your local copy, but that's what happens to naughty boys not playing nice with
Linux standards... ;)

man rpm:
http://www.rt.com/man/rpm.8.html