POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Three Vista annoyances so far Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Three Vista annoyances so far (Message 11 to 20 of 25)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: Eero Ahonen
Subject: Re: Three Vista annoyances so far
Date: 5 Jan 2009 12:52:45
Message: <496248ed$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:

> search that keeps getting in the way... more than that, the previous shortcut
> worked perfectly fine, why drop it?

Or possibly... make it configurable?

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 5 Jan 2009 12:58:15
Message: <49624a37$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
>> Yes, it's the most useless of all keys, as much as Scroll lock
>> perhaps! ;)

Scroll lock is surprisingly useful - many KVM switches use it as the
change button when pressed twice ;).

> I've actually used scroll lock on occasion. It's sysreq I've never had
> to use. :-)  That looked more like a function in search of a problem, to
> me. Multi-task switching functionality hardcoded into the keyboard,
> immediately followed by the release of Windows. Ouch. :-)

Linux has support for Magic SysRq keys. I don't know how deep in they
actually are, but usually if you get the system to a state that'll make
you want to do a hard reset (cutting power), AltGr*+SysRq+S (emergence
Sync) and AltGr+SysRq+B (reBoot) at least seems less cruel way to do things.

*) Yes, it demands AltGr, I just tested - my laptop has SysRq at Fn+Del,
so I need to AltGr+Fn+SysRq+S (in that order) to do the sync.

-Aero

Post a reply to this message